Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Coffee-flavored ricotta cheese and chocolate “mousse” in an espresso cup - or the 5 minute dessert

I love spending time with my friends and I love having them over for dinner, even if it’s unexpected. I’m not a big fan of ordering out, so when friends show up, I have to think of something to prepare with whatever is left in my fridge and that’s also fast. In these cases, pasta is always a winner. When it comes to dessert, however, things can be a little more challenging. This is what I came up with a couple of nights ago.





Coffee-flavored ricotta cheese and chocolate "mousse" in an espresso cup



200 g ricotta cheese
100 g dark chocolate (I used a 70% cocoa)
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon instant coffee



Please note that quantities are not exact. Chop chocolate into small pieces and melt it over a double boiler or in a microwave. Pass ricotta cheese through a fine sieve for a smooth texture. Dissolve coffee in very little water. Combine ricotta cheese with honey, then add chocolate and coffee. Mix well. Fill a pastry bag with the mixture and leave it in the fridge until ready to serve. Fill some espresso cups with the "mousse" and serve. I guess the colder the mixture, the easier it will be to pipe it out, mine was still too warm.



The espresso cups in the picture are from the 1996 Illy collection.

2 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

I think you did an excellent job - the dessert looks beautiful!

BetsyDrake said...

Thank you, Patricia. It's very sweet of you :-)