Tuesday, November 20, 2007

GYO - Persimmon Cake

Ever since I started blogging, I realized that there are about a million blog events going on each day. I think that’s just great, I love the idea of people from different places in the world to virtually get together, so I thought I’d give it a try, too.

The one event I’m going to try first is Grow Your Own, a monthly event hosted by Andrea at andreasrecipes.com that celebrates the foods that we grow and the dishes we make with it. I can’t wait to see what people from around the world have in their gardens.

I'll be featuring persimmons as I have a nice tree in my garden

I'll be making a persimmon cake. I'm very fond of this recipe because it's one of my dad's favorites. The cake is dark and not too thick and has a tender, moist texture almost like pudding.

Persimmon Cake

570 g persimmon flesh
80 g sugar
2 medium eggs
50 g butter, melted and cooled
200 g flour, sieved
12 g cream of tartar or baking powder
1 vanilla pod

The cake is really quick and easy, an immersion blender works wonders – I guess a regular blender will do as well.

Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F and grease and flour the bottom and sides of a springform pan.

Place persimmon flesh in a large bowl and blend with your immersion blender until smooth. Add sugar, eggs, butter and the scrapings from a vanilla pod. Blend again until smooth.

Sieve cream of tartar and flour together and mix into persimmon mixture – I suggest using a spatula as the blender can cause the flour to make lumps.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes – remember that the cake will stay moist even after cooling. Dust with icing sugar and serve cool.

Don’t forget to check out Andrea's round up on December 1st!


Andrea said...

Your cake looks so good and moist! Welcome to the world of food blogging, and thanks for a delicious entry for Grow Your Own!

BetsyDrake said...

Thanks, Andrea. I loved your round-up! And thanks for the warm welcome

Christina said...

I'm excited to try this. I have persimmons coming out of my ears, and it is good to have as many recipes as possible. Thank you for this!

BetsyDrake said...

@Christina: glad I could help :-)