Tuesday, November 20, 2007

GYO - Persimmon Cake

Ever since I started blogging, I realized that there are about a million blog events going on each day. I think that’s just great, I love the idea of people from different places in the world to virtually get together, so I thought I’d give it a try, too.

The one event I’m going to try first is Grow Your Own, a monthly event hosted by Andrea at andreasrecipes.com that celebrates the foods that we grow and the dishes we make with it. I can’t wait to see what people from around the world have in their gardens.




I'll be featuring persimmons as I have a nice tree in my garden





I'll be making a persimmon cake. I'm very fond of this recipe because it's one of my dad's favorites. The cake is dark and not too thick and has a tender, moist texture almost like pudding.





Persimmon Cake

570 g persimmon flesh
80 g sugar
2 medium eggs
50 g butter, melted and cooled
200 g flour, sieved
12 g cream of tartar or baking powder
1 vanilla pod

The cake is really quick and easy, an immersion blender works wonders – I guess a regular blender will do as well.

Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F and grease and flour the bottom and sides of a springform pan.

Place persimmon flesh in a large bowl and blend with your immersion blender until smooth. Add sugar, eggs, butter and the scrapings from a vanilla pod. Blend again until smooth.

Sieve cream of tartar and flour together and mix into persimmon mixture – I suggest using a spatula as the blender can cause the flour to make lumps.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes – remember that the cake will stay moist even after cooling. Dust with icing sugar and serve cool.





Don’t forget to check out Andrea's round up on December 1st!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Your cake looks so good and moist! Welcome to the world of food blogging, and thanks for a delicious entry for Grow Your Own!

BetsyDrake said...

Thanks, Andrea. I loved your round-up! And thanks for the warm welcome

Christina said...

I'm excited to try this. I have persimmons coming out of my ears, and it is good to have as many recipes as possible. Thank you for this!

BetsyDrake said...

@Christina: glad I could help :-)