Sunday, November 11, 2007

Dijon mustard pork loin

I am lucky enough to still have my grandmother alive, I’m just sorry I don’t get to see her as often as I would like. Even though she’s almost 90, she’s still full of life and always ready to experience new things. When it comes to food, however, she’s not the most modern of people, so every time she’s over for lunch, I have to prepare something a little more on the traditional side. This is what I prepared today.



Dijon mustard pork loin

Have your butcher prepare a nice piece of pork loin – mine was about 500 g. Put some extra virgin olive oil into a large pan and brown all sides of the pork loin. Remove the meat from the pan and gently rub in a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon sweet paprika; make sure salt and paprika are evenly spread out.
Slice two medium onions – I used the golden kind – and place them into the same pan where you browned the meat together with a couple of sage leaves. When the onions become transparent, put the pork back in, add half a liter warm full fat milk and a couple of tablespoons Dijon mustard. Cover with a lid and allow about 50 minutes to an hour to cook, making sure that the sauce doesn’t dry out – in case that happens, add some more warm milk or a little stock. When the meat is done, remove it from the pan and set aside. Blend the sauce with your handblender or transfer it into your regular blender and purée until you get a smooth sauce – the thickness should be ok, but if it isn’t you can put it back on the stove for just a minute or - if it’s really too liquid – you can add some roux to get to the right consistency.
Slice the meat and serve with sauce.

Note: I’ve always eaten it warm, but granny says it’s good when cold too.

0 comments: